Are employers required to reimburse employees for work expenses?
Yes, California law requires employers to reimburse employees for certain work expenses incurred while doing their job. Many employers have policies that specify which costs qualify for reimbursements, depending on an employee’s job details. Here are some common types of reimbursements:
• Mileage and toll expenses
• Travel costs such as airfare and hotel accommodations
• Conference attendance fees
• Business use of a personal cellphone
• Uniform costs
• Internet charges
Not all expenses qualify for reimbursement under state labor laws. For example, a company is not obligated to compensate employees for meals during a work trip or traffic fines.
To be reimbursed, an employee’s expenses must be both necessary and reasonable, as well as incurred as a direct result of performing work-related tasks. The employer should also know the costs are being incurred.
Employers cannot force employees to waive their right to qualifying reimbursements. They are also not allowed to fire or otherwise retaliate against workers who ask to be reimbursed.
If your employer has failed to reimburse you for qualifying expenses, contact the experienced Oakland employment lawyers at Erlich Law Firm. We can answer all your questions about reimbursements and your rights as an employee.
Other Unpaid Wage & Overtime FAQs:
- Am I entitled to rest breaks?
- Are employers required to pay mileage reimbursements?
- Are employers required to reimburse employees for work expenses?
- Can my employer fire me for complaining about unpaid wages?
- Does my employer have to give me meal breaks?
- How long do I have to file a claim for unpaid overtime?
- How much do you get paid for overtime in California?
- Is wage theft a crime in California?
- My employer deducted tips from my paycheck. Is this legal?
- Should I be paid for off-the-clock work?
- What should I do if my employer doesn’t pay me the overtime wages I am owed?
- What should I do if my employer is not paying me my wages on time?
- What types of damages can I recover in a claim for unpaid wages?
- When does my employer have to pay me my final wages upon termination or resignation?
- When must commissions be paid in California?
- Why do I need a lawyer for my unpaid wages claim?
FREE CASE REVIEW
When employees' legal rights are violated, we take time to explain their legal options, listen to their goals, and aggressively argue their case until we achieve the resolution they deserve.