What types of damages can I recover in a claim for unpaid wages?
An employee can receive several different forms of compensation when filing a claim for unpaid wages. The amount and types of damages vary based on the nature of the wage violation an employer has committed.
In minimum wage or overtime lawsuits, workers can recover back pay, interest on outstanding wages, attorney’s fees and court costs. If an employer failed to provide meal or rest breaks, employees may receive one hour of additional pay for each break that was not given.
The damages are intended to compensate you for the losses you suffered due to the unpaid wages. Employers may also face penalties for wage violations as punishment and a deterrent from engaging in further unlawful practices.
If you are considering pursuing a wage and hour claim against your employer, discuss your situation with the experienced Oakland employment lawyers at Erlich Law Firm. We can give you an idea of what to expect based on the facts of your case. Contact us today to learn more.
Other Wage, Overtime & Commission Theft FAQs:
- Am I entitled to rest breaks?
- Are employers required to pay mileage reimbursements?
- Are employers required to reimburse employees for work expenses?
- Can my employer fire me for complaining about unpaid wages?
- Does my employer have to give me meal breaks?
- How long do I have to file a claim for unpaid overtime?
- How much do you get paid for overtime in California?
- Is wage theft a crime in California?
- My employer deducted tips from my paycheck. Is this legal?
- Should I be paid for off-the-clock work?
- What should I do if my employer doesn’t pay me the overtime wages I am owed?
- What should I do if my employer is not paying me my wages on time?
- What types of damages can I recover in a claim for unpaid wages?
- When does my employer have to pay me my final wages upon termination or resignation?
- When must commissions be paid in California?
- Why do I need a lawyer for my unpaid wages claim?
FREE CASE REVIEW
When employees' legal rights are violated, we take time to explain their legal options, listen to their goals, and aggressively argue their case until we achieve the resolution they deserve.