What types of damages can I recover in a claim for unpaid wages?

An employee can receive several different forms of compensation when filing a claim for unpaid wages. The amount and types of damages vary based on the nature of the wage violation an employer has committed.

In minimum wage or overtime lawsuits, workers can recover back pay, interest on outstanding wages, attorney’s fees and court costs. If an employer failed to provide meal or rest breaks, employees may receive one hour of additional pay for each break that was not given.

The damages are intended to compensate you for the losses you suffered due to the unpaid wages. Employers may also face penalties for wage violations as punishment and a deterrent from engaging in further unlawful practices.

If you are considering pursuing a wage and hour claim against your employer, discuss your situation with the experienced Oakland employment lawyers at Erlich Law Firm. We can give you an idea of what to expect based on the facts of your case. Contact us today to learn more.

Other Wage, Overtime & Commission Theft FAQs:


My parents were heavily involved in community organizing. Seeing neighbors and friends’ parents struggle in the workplace gave me a sense of purpose that I wanted to help others. Many employees feel helpless and powerless in the workplace, and helping them vindicate their rights is the right thing to do.

- Jason Erlich

Client testimonials
Jason took the time to explain and guide me through the challenging process, and went the extra steps in consistently providing guidance and putting my concerns and questions high on their list.

Jeff V., Oakland

When employees' legal rights are violated, we take time to explain their legal options, listen to their goals, and aggressively argue their case until we achieve the resolution they deserve.